At its heart, a prison is the people. But what kind of people ended up in the hellish Port Arthur Prison in Van Diemen’s Land? Was it really just for the worst of the worst? Or was it a machine that simple chewed people up indiscriminately. How can we begin to understand it. Join me to walk a mile or two in a convicts shoe. The episode covers
- Intro & reviews.
- The cultural melting pot
- A philosophy of civilisation?
- Who were they, these desperado’s?
- What is a historical prison?
- The site and the barracks; evidence of the past & imaginations.
- Prisoners; working for their own good and other people’s greed.
- The transportation of civilisation.
- Christian salvation was built into the land.
- Christianity & criminal justice.
If you want to get in touch, I’d love to hear from you. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, follow me on twitter @ageofvictoria, visit the website at www.ageofvictoriapodcast.com. The show also has a facebook page and group. Just search for Age of Victoria. Don’t forget to leave a review on Apple Podcasts, it takes less time than making a coffee. You can also subscribe for free on most major podcast apps. If you want to support the show on patreon, CLICK HERE or you can go to Patreon and search for age of victoria podcast or my name. Take care and bye for now.